Are you doing date nights at home? Make date night extra special by mixing up date night drinks for two at home! We tried out The Bee’s Knees and gave it our highest rating: double-thumbs-up-yum!
The Bee's Knees is the Bee's Knees!
Cheers friends! Melissa here.
We had all kinds of 1920s style fun on The ChriMel Show when I made The Bee’s Knees. I reminisced about the musical Annie. Chris tried to get me to talk at a ’20s pace – whatever that is.
Oh the ’20s. Those good ol’ days of Prohibition! Back when bathtub gin was popular despite its taste. To improve upon bathtub gin, someone thought to add honey syrup and lemon juice to the gin – making it The Bee’s Knees (1920s slang for The Best).
Ready to make it at home? Since I’m always making craft cocktails for two, this recipe is for two.
The Bee’s Knees Ingredients for Two:
- 4 ounces gin. We used Tattersall.
- 2 ounce fresh lemon juice.
- 1.5 ounces honey syrup*. We recommend using real, pure, local honey. For this drink we used The Bee Shed‘s Minnesota Wildflower Honey.
- 2 lemon twists for funsies
*Honey syrup is easy to make. Just make sure you use hot water. Some recipes call for warm water, but I’ve found that hot water is easier. To make honey syrup mix two parts honey to one part water. If you’ll be having a couple of rounds, or want some for later in the week, you could mix 6 Tbsp. of honey and 3 Tbsp. hot water. If that’s too sweet for you, you could mix them in equal parts or reverse the ratio.
The Bee’s Knees Drink-Making Instructions:
- Put all of the ingredients into a shaker.*
- Add ice with care. I’ve learned over time that adding the ice last can be best, because otherwise if Chris and I start talking before I start shaking it up it can get melty. Making drinks at home is not quite the same as bartending (a job I had long before craft cocktails were a thing).
- Shake it up.
- Strain it into a coupe glass, or whatever glass you have on hand that makes you feel fancy.
- Put a lemon twist in each glass.
Leisure Testing Result: Double-Thumbs-Up Yum!
Difficulty Rating: Easy Peasy.
We hope you have a wonderful time making and enjoying these delicious drinks!
Please note that the link below is an affiliate link. At no additional cost to you, we earn a commission if you make a purchase. We would never recommend anything we don’t personally love, and the income goes to keeping this site updated and free for everyone!
* We use The Boston Shaker Set (https://amzn.to/3fCZofg).