Melissa's Delicious DIY Coconut Milk Mocha
I (the Melissa half of The ChriMel Show) have come up with a DIY Mocha recipe that I love!
Now, we’re saving more than $3,200 per year on our morning coffee ritual. Thanks to all the extras we tend to get when we go out for coffee, we might be saving as much as $5,000 each year. That’s a lot of money that can be used for leisure testing and travel!
What's our morning coffee Ritual?
Chris takes his coffee black.
I am pretty extra (re: high maintenance). My order is: White Mocha, Medium, Extra Shot of Espresso, Coconut Milk, Half the Chocolate, and No Whipped Cream. It’s a lot to say every morning. While the extra shot of espresso and the coconut milk are upcharges, there are no savings for skipping the whipped cream, or halving the chocolate.
I’m excited to share my mocha recipe with you, but first…
The delicious DIY Mocha Money-Saving Numbers
All products featured on The ChriMel Show are independently selected. When you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cost of the equipment you’ll need:
- HadinEEon Milk Frother $39.98 https://amzn.to/2ZpI0DS
- Bialetti Moka Pot $34.99 https://amzn.to/2Zz35Mg
Grand Total: $74.97
Cost of Ingredients:
- Starbucks ground espresso is about $0.41 per 2 Tablespoons (the amount needed for DIY Dairy-Free Mochas).
- A half gallon of So Delicious Coconut Milk at my local Hy-Vee today(6/29/20) retails at $4.49. Following Delicious DIY Mocha recipe makes the cost of coconut milk per mocha $0.28.
- Also at Hy-Vee, an eleven ounce bag of Ghirardelli White Chocolate Baking Chips today (6/29/20) retails at $3.99. Following the recipe, the cost of white chocolate per mocha is $0.29.
Grand Total: $0.98
Barista’s Note: I used to use a bit of vanilla extract in my mochas. I’ve started skipping that, because my mochas are tasting just as good!
Cost of Going Out for Our Morning Coffee Ritual:
The price of buying the same mocha from my nearest, favorite coffee shop is $6.19. Driving to the coffee shop and back costs about $0.86. That brings my daily coffee expense to $7.05 plus buying my husband a large coffee for $2.95. After all, if I’m treating myself I can’t not treat Chris, right?
What is your daily coffee habit costing you?
Bonus: carbon footprint reduction, calorie reduction, and more consistent drink quality.
How to make a delicious diy diary-free mocha:
- Put 1.5 servings of Ghirardelli White Chocolate Baking Chips in a small saucepan (about 50 chips). Heat at a medium-low setting. Add 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla. Stir. Then add 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut milk.
- Put water and espresso into the Moka per the instructions and heat it on a burner set to medium.
- Stir the milk and white (or milk, or dark) chocolate chips until the chips have melted. It’s okay if it simmers a bit.
- Once the Moka pot begins to steam, pull the saucepan from the burner. The chips should be completely melted into the milk by this time.
- Pour the milk mixture into the frother. Press the froth button. It only takes a minute to froth.
- Once the Moka pot stops steaming, pour the espresso from it into a mug
- Pour the milk from the frother into your mug using a tablespoon to hold back the foam.
- Top with foam.
Extra cozy ritual points if you find a favorite mug! Wish you had a The ChriMel Show mug in your kitchen right now? Visit our store by clicking here.
Barista’s Note: Reduce clean-up by using a metal tablespoon to portion out the chips and stir them into the white chocolate. Use the mug you plan to use as your spoon rest between stirs.